Day 6

DAY 6



MAMA WE MADE IT! With a nice and early start this morning at 3:58am, we were all ready and pumped to hike the Grand Canyon!!! After tarping our belongings to hide it from the vicious crows, some went to point A (3 mile round trip) and some went to point B (6 mile round trip). Today was our first time having to plan our packing for the whole day all by ourselves; parents, you should be proud of us. After some stretches and chanting to get us hyped up, we officially entered the canyon at 5am. 

The hike down was easy as pie. Honestly, if a lot of us could decide how far we were going downwards on the way down, we would each have chosen to do the 6 miles down and up, which was banned … for good reasons. On our way back up the majestic Grand Canyon, which made some people cry because of its beauty, our calves ached, our muscles screamed, but we knew we could make it. Our counselor, Evan, was the last person to come up, making sure everyone got up the canyon okay. A majority of people chose to do the B route, which was 3 miles down and 3 miles up, and many chose to do the A route, where they had go down 1.5 miles down and up. Once again, being restricted to do the 3-mile up and down was great because it killed nearly all of us.

We were all pretty dirty after the large hike, so we hit the showers. Showers were $2 in quarters for 8 minutes (best 2 dollars spent on the whole trip!) Laundry took a while because of the size of our group, but it was a great time for bonding and getting to know the person sitting on the dryer next to you.  While waiting for our clothes to dry, we were able to call home. Some of us used payphones for the first time! Tears were shed and stories were shared as we talked to the people we love.

After most of us had showered and washed the orange canyon sand from our clothes, we sat down at noon for some lunch. Mrs. V and Mr. Deaton had brewed some World Famous Deaton stew.

V stirring the GO GO JUICE!


Who needs a dryer when you have the sun!


Deaton stew made by yours truly 


WE LOVE TWB



Later, we had a sing a long and called it a night! WE ARE GOING TO VEGAS TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!! WOOP WOOP!!!!

WE’RE SO EXCITED!!





“After hiking down, the hike up was 2 times as hard”  -Cameron Baucom, Monroe NC

“Going down is an option, going up is mandatory” – Ayla Gutschick Mooresville, NC

“The hike was rough, but looking out at the canyon every few minutes was great” – Emily Payne, Monroe, NC

“It was so incredibly beautiful, a picture will never do it justice” – Elizabeth Efird Gastonia, NC

“Honey, it wasn’t Crowders” – Meredith Bowen, Cherryville, NC

“Jesus is testing me today” – Nazirah Ahmad, Monroe, NC

“Its something that every American should experience. It surpasses every expectation” – Alex Marez Monroe, NC

“I’m stressed “ – Becca West, Gastonia, NC

“Everything was great until I stepped in mule poop” – Hannah Shaffer, Chapin, SC

“I fell over three times but the view was worth it” – Dani Ariza, Lake Wylie, SC

“The t-shirt should say the Grand Canyon kicked my butt” – Chloe Fowler, Chapin, SC

“I wish I could have gone farther” – Tripp Wells, Laurinburg, NC

“Twelve would’ve been better than six,” Donovan o’Donnell, Laurinburg NC

“The hike left me breathless, in awe, and pretty much dead,” Laura Hay, Mooresville, NC

“I hikey, I likey,” Jacqueline Garcia, Fort Mill, SC

“Grand Canyon -1, Nyah – 0,” Nyah Townsend, Reidsville, nc

“Slow and steady wins the race,” Anna Brady, Reidsville NC

“The instagram likes will be worth it,” Mikayla Rose, Belmont NC

“I hope I don’t poop off a switch back.” Brylee Byrd, Shelby, NC

“I feel for the emergency mules,” Gina Smirz, Gastonia, NC

“I’m still alive but I’m barely breathing,” Kyndall High, Gastonia, NC

“Views … from the canyon,” Daireon Duff, Gastonia, NC

“Tops any view I’ve seen so far, no doubt,” Graceanna Sessions, Lake Wacamaw, NC

“Watch out for the rabid squirrels,” Harrison Marisiddaiah, Gastonia, NC

“My legs were screaming on the way up, but it was worth it,” Madison Hammons, Whiteville, NC

“Pain is temporary, but God’s beautiful creations are forever,” Hannah Mantooth, Kings Mountain, NC

“It was good for me,” Colton Pierce, Mooresville, NC

“The view was great … but the experience was even better!” Jennings Tumlin, Beaufort SC

“It was a near-death experience, but I would do it again in a heartbeat,” Kelly Ford. Lowell, NC

“It was okay that my camera died because the memory will be better than a picture,”
Emily Watling, Mooresville NC

“Next time I go to the Grand Canyon, I’m riding a dagum mule,” Caroline Cabe, Gastonia NC

“God is great,” Meredith Nanney, Gastonia, Nc

“I saw a sheep,” Trey Armstrong, Laurinburg, NC

“There was dust all in my nose,” Charlie Lindsey, Mooresville, NC

“My calves were burning. I was dying, but I made it,” Ashley Beaty, Gastonia, NC

“The beauty nearly brought me to tears, and I appreciate everything God has given me even more now,” Taylor Kennedy, Mooresville, NC

“I am going to be sneezing dust for days,” Emily Ling, Greenwood, SC

“I stole the pebble,” Carolyn Tuttle, Mooresville, NC

“Tell me how I’m supposed to breathe with no air,” Samantha Edlund, Mooresville, NC
“If anyone did not believe in God before the canyon, they sure do now,” Megan Dwyer, Florence, KY

“No regrets,” Shannon Quail, Rock Hill, SC

“Why are you going so fast?” Me: “If I stop, I will poop,” Daniel Caruso

“If the last sight I ever saw was the sun rising over the Grand Canyon, I would die a happy man,” Jeff Harbin, Mooresville NC

“Four hours of sleep-four hour hike,” Sally Buckles, Gastonia NC

“I’M ALIVE,” Kathryn Trent, Reidsville NC

“The view was absolutely incredible. Neither words nor pictures do it any justice,” Brae Troutman, Wilmington NC

“My feet hurt, but it was worth it,” Mckenzie Moody, Aberdean, NC

“For once, I am not the only one breaking ankles out there,” Ross Sands, Mooresville NC

“I might have ben dead last, but I MADE IT,” Katie Edwards, Wilmington NC

“FIRE ON THE GRILL! Or, bless your little heart,” Erin Jenkins, Pageland, SC

“It’s almost made me miss hard XC workouts, but it was worth it,” Ellen McLam, Whiteville NC

“I hiked more hours than I slept last night, but 6 miles in 3 hours is worth my sleep when you are at the Grand Canyon,” Riley McHale, Alexandria va

“I slipped so many times,” Samantha Roche, Charlotte NC

“We’re not in prosperity anymore,” Preston Cook, Prosperity, SC

“The climb is hard, but the view is great,” Evin Flinchum, Summerheld NC

“The view was breathtaking and all, but I better have Carrie Underwood legs after,” Sydney Stanley, Stoneville, NC

“I hiked the Granyon,” Dylan Heafner, Lincolnton, NC

“Looks can be deceiving,” Liz Dorn, Greenwood SC

“Please just push me in,” Reid Bugman, Newberry, SC

“It was worth waking up at 4:30 for,” Olivia Nelli, Greenville, SC

“Afterwards I felt like I could run a marathon. I can’t,” Peyton Quin, Charlotte, NC

“Panic Mode!!!!........ CAWW!” Grace Lubkin, Beaufort, SC and Meggie Cauley Mooresville, NC

“I thought I could do the 12 miles, but after dying at the 6 miles, I now know that I couldn’t. But, I will someday,” Matthew Lacayo, Stokesdale NC

“They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but there are never enough words to describe this.” Maren Syska, Charlotte NC

“I came. I climbed. I threw up, and then I bought a t-shirt.” Christopher Sanders Beaufort, SC

“That’s a big hole.” Hannah Finlon, Lake Wylie, SC

“Carry me,” Makayla Hayes, Reidsville, NC

“Experiences like that come once in a lifetime, but its even more special making goat noises on the way down.” Megan Farris, Gastonia, NC

“Lol and I thought that I was in Gucci shape,” Aulden Hopper, Cherryville, NC

“Of course I’m doing the 12.” Josh Feemster, Bessemer City, NC

“360 vista that is too incredible for words,” Maddi Hatfield, Iron Station, NC



“I didn’t get to hike but I saw the sun rise over the canyon and it was amazing,” Kristina Sheppard, Concord, NC


TREE HUGGER EVAN

Laundry time



Logan and Dylan survived the hike!

Made it to our last stop!

Gents!

Ladies plus Evan
Shade provided to Katie by Evan!
GOING STRONG!!!
Well worth the hike








Brae serenading us 


Much love, Dopey's!